Re: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 19:04:45 -0800
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/38.5.0 s=q20140121; t=1451876684; bh=FgNe6NAU/wN7eSklmkDqr+Kr6rCnAEe/Oq99xLiHS6w=; h=Received:Received:Subject:To:From:Message-ID:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=fqYXge8B9zrrZ+dGwmVB+XfAlFkbnjTIWwniCsBwq4s0m/8xx25CvKM6awh6Sl41Y 33UYriuM314/VKgsuilZqHneNc62FrCBUT3qOSweq969bEWp49JM0FPYr32wK6N0Ba dZghhWhuvZkjMkMmHjuDqqRJ0jp4pKJ7n4v6E0DyVEHt0z4lm+HQO1N7yR6KWhQ/ZR VKMj9Y3WbA829zXgWp2Ds8ELxz+YPDO/2TtrgR3PWCqAiKOaIex1RijIX7jjixV6sG rHbqxCZQpCf0cA558W91HKiF/41y73HzXjaVnshdsZi/dQnp51t/ahvp0lK+K+6R+C mvpwNVX1zCscA==
--===============3417373313919257555==
 boundary="------------070900090505000904020202"

--------------070900090505000904020202

I've had best results putting a grade 8 flatwasher under the (grade 8)
bolt head (against the shock 'ear'), with a grade 8 splitwasher under
the (grade 8) nut on the backside.  This is one location where
threadlocker doesn't seem to work better than lockwashers.   And, torque
the snot out of the bolts.  If the holes in the shocks are oblonged it
gets even more problematic.

Bob

On 1/3/2016 4:39 PM, Richard Kahn wrote:

> The split washer damage the mounting surfaces. Try nulock washers.
> They stay tight. I have not had a problem in 3 years since I installed
> them on the rear shocks. There are two washer that kind of ratchet
> together but can still be removed when needed. They have a great video
> on their web sight. They are readily available at fastener shops.
> Rich Kahn
> From: healeybruce@roadrunner.com
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 16:08:52 -0800
> Subject: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight
>
> Seeking ideas on how to keep the rear shock mount bolts tight.  They
> work loose every 1,500 to 2,000 miles, and tightening them is routine
> with my annual maintenance.  I currently have grade 8 bolts, nuts and
> split washers.  Grade 5 bolts, nuts, and split washers were no worse
> (or better) than the grade 8.  Tried Nord-Lock washers 2 years ago
> after someone posted about them on this list.  They loosened more
> quickly than split washers.  Tried thread locker and nylocks as well,
> neither of which were better than split washers.
>
> Anyone have a method that actually keeps the hardware tight?
>
> Bruce Steele
>
> Brea, CA
>
> 1960 BN7

--------------070900090505000904020202

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    I've had best results putting a grade 8 flatwasher under the (grade
    8) bolt head (against the shock 'ear'), with a grade 8 splitwasher
    under the (grade 8) nut on the backside.  This is one location where
    threadlocker doesn't seem to work better than lockwashers.   And,
    torque the snot out of the bolts.  If the holes in the shocks are
    oblonged it gets even more problematic.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
      type="cite">
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt;
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style>
        The split washer damage the mounting surfaces. Try nulock
        washers. They stay tight. I have not had a problem in 3 years
        since I installed them on the rear shocks. There are two washer
        that kind of ratchet together but can still be removed when
        needed. They have a great video on their web sight. They are
        readily available at fastener shops.<br>
        Rich Kahn <br>
          <hr id="stopSpelling">From: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:healeybruce@roadrunner.com";>healeybruce@roadrunner.com</a><br>