Re: [Healeys] +Compression ratio

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] +Compression ratio
From: Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 18:38:51 +1100
--===============5324775651580837384==
 boundary="------------010003050003090605080708"

--------------010003050003090605080708

Rick is quite right, and flat top pistons level with the top of the
block was the way it was done years ago for racing, very problematic
with modern fuels in a road car. The semi dished 100M style piston works
well and give a bit over 9 to 1 compression.
Cheers
Larry Varley

On 16/01/2016 3:04 PM, Keith Taylor wrote:
> Thanks Bob & Rick  I believe the pistons were from a Dodge "Q" & are
> not dished, they are level with the top of the block
> They were fitted long before I bought the car & after rebuild I had to
> fit a high torque starter to get it to turnover
> From your assessments & my assumptions I thought compression would be
> higher than 9.5 possibly 10+
> The car certainly has plenty of torque  It also had an ugly/bizarre
> plumbing setup to the head similar to a 100S for cooling
>
> Curiosity satisfied
>
> Keith
>
> On 16 January 2016 at 12:57, Wilko2 <e-wilkins@cox.net
>
>     The standard 7.5/1 piston has a dish top with a volume of 29 cc.
>
>     The LeMans 8.5/1 piston also has a dish top but the dish is not as
>     deep being only 14cc volume. A true flat top if it has the same
>     compression height (distance from the top of the pin hole to top
>     of piston) would give a ratio of 10.5/1. There could be design
>     variations that are flat top but have a lower compression height
>     which would give a lower ratio.
>
>     Without knowing where the top of your piston is in relation to the
>     top of the cylinder or dimension from pin, there's not way of
>     knowing without measuring your chambers.
>
>     Rick Wilkins
>
>     On Jan 15, 2016, at 5:10 PM, Keith Taylor wrote:
>
>     > What would be  the compression ratio of a BN2 fitted with flat
>     top pistons.
>     >
>     > Keith Taylor
>     > BN1
>     > BN2
>     >
>     > Southern Highlands OZ
>     > Support Team.Net http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     > Suggested annual donation  $12.75
>     > Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>     > Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>     >
>     > http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys
>     >
>     > Unsubscribe/Manage:
>     http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/e-wilkins@cox.net
>     >

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/varley@cosmos.net.au
>

> No virus found in this message.

--------------010003050003090605080708

  <head>
  </head>
    Rick is quite right, and flat top pistons level with the top of the
    block was the way it was done years ago for racing, very problematic
    with modern fuels in a road car. The semi dished 100M style piston
    works well and give a bit over 9 to 1 compression.<br>
    Cheers<br>
    Larry Varley<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAJBOvRS_06TkgTxzLg1L1arwe5VXDn6EAixxwHpAts_PUU68TQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          Dodge "Q" &amp; are not dished, they are level with the top of
          the block</div>
          rebuild I had to fit a high torque starter to get it to
          turnover </div>
          compression would be higher than 9.5 possibly 10+</div>
          ugly/bizarre plumbing setup to the head similar to a 100S for
          cooling </div>
            dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:e-wilkins@cox.net";
target="_blank">e-wilkins@cox.net</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">The
            standard 7.5/1 piston has a dish top with a volume of 29 cc.<br>
            The LeMans 8.5/1 piston also has a dish top but the dish is
            not as deep being only 14cc volume. A true flat top if it
            has the same compression height (distance from the top of
            the pin hole to top of piston) would give a ratio of 10.5/1.
            There could be design variations that are flat top but have
            a lower compression height which would give a lower ratio.<br>
            Without knowing where the top of your piston is in relation
            to the top of the cylinder or dimension from pin, there's
            not way of knowing without measuring your chambers.<br>
            Rick Wilkins<br>
                On Jan 15, 2016, at 5:10 PM, Keith Taylor wrote:<br>
                &gt; What would be  the compression ratio of a BN2
                fitted with flat top pistons.<br>
                &gt;<br>
                &gt; Keith Taylor<br>
                &gt; BN1<br>
                &gt; BN2<br>
                &gt;<br>
                &gt; Southern Highlands OZ<br>
              &gt; Support Team.Net <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://www.team.net/donate.html"; target="_blank"
                rel="noreferrer">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
              &gt; Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
              &gt; Archive: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://www.team.net/archive"; target="_blank"
                rel="noreferrer">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
              &gt; Forums: <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://www.team.net/forums"; target="_blank"
                rel="noreferrer">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
              &gt;<br>
              &gt; <a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
              &gt; <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";
                target="_blank"
rel="noreferrer">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
              &gt;<br>

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/e-wilkins@cox.net";
              target="_blank"
rel="noreferrer">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/e-wilkins@cox.net</a><br>
            &gt;<br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        found in this message.<br>
        Checked by AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Date: 01/16/16</p>

--------------010003050003090605080708--