[Healeys] Healey Archive at Warwick needs support

To: "Healeys, Forum" <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Healey Archive at Warwick needs support
From: "josef-eckert@t-online.de" <josef-eckert@t-online.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 07:26:03 +0100 (MET)

------=_Part_2046546_1554845617.1454048763511

Healey Archive at Warwick needs support

=20

Josef Eckert

Germany

=20

Bid for Healey history motors gains international support

Warwickshire=E2=80=99s bid to buy and preserve over 70 years worth of Warwi=
ck=20
Healey=E2=80=99s motor car history has gained international support to help=
 raise=20
thousands of pounds.

The Warwickshire County Record Office wants to buy the Warwick Healey Motor=
=20
Company Archive to preserve and restore items and ensure they remain=20
available for public viewing.

=20
Keith Bates from A Head 4 Healeys presenting a cheque to Rob Eyre, Senior=
=20
Archivist at Warwickshire County Record Office. Images taken from the=20
Warwick Healey Motor Company Archive

The motorcar archives, which are publicly available in Warwick where the=20
company was born, have been offered to the county office for sale. But they=
=20
may be split up and sold off at private auctions if the deal does not go=20
through.

The record office has now launched a fundraising campaign to raise =C2=A312=
0,000=20
to preserve the archive - and it already has already attracted support from=
=20
the Austin Healey Club USA which will feature the campaign in the new year=
=20
edition of its magazine.

The magazine=E2=80=99s global readership of enthusiasts are keen to see the=
=20
historical collection remain in public hands and it is hoped the exposure=
=20
will help draw in funds.

The iconic car company was founded in Warwick in 1945 by Donald Healey - a=
=20
successful car designer and rally driver.

His business focused on producing expensive, high quality, high performance=
=20
cars and was based in an old aircraft components factory off Miller Road.=
=20
He later had a showroom in Emscote Road which was demolished and the block=
=20
of flats on the site is commemoratively named Healey Court.

As fundraising continues, Kate Healey, granddaughter of the famous company=
=20
founder, has spoken of her desire to see the archive kept in its birthplace=
=20
for continued public enjoyment.

She said: =E2=80=9CIt was a big decision for us to find the best home for t=
his=20
collection which our father saved.

=E2=80=9CWe are sure this is the best place for it as it can be viewed by e=
veryone=20
equally for free in perpetuity. It goes without saying that it was also the=
=20
birthplace of the cars.
=20

=20

Gerry Coker's original design for the winged badge used on the Healey 100.=
=20
Images taken from the Warwick Healey Motor Company Archive

To date, the county record office has raised =C2=A317,750 towards the bid w=
ith=20
help from groups including the Friends of the National Libraries and King=
=20
Henry VIII Trust.

There are also planned bids of =C2=A372,500 to come from the Heritage Lotte=
ry=20
Fund.

The Friends of Warwickshire County Record Office hope to raise an initial=
=20
=C2=A39,000 in private donations to help save this unique piece of Britain=
=E2=80=99s=20
motor and design history.

But the team is still =C2=A330,000 short of making the sale to secure the=
=20
collection - and are appealing for public donations to help.

Read more:=20
http://healey.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/4681/latest/1#ixzz=
3ybzg6iUc
<http://healey.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/4681/latest/1#ixz=
z3ybzg6iUc>

=20

=20

The extensive collection contains more than 20 boxes of material including=
=20
early research and development designs, business records, letters detailing=
=20
the company=E2=80=99s involvement in motor racing and test results for land=
 speed=20
records.

The collection also includes numerous photographs of various Healey models=
=20
including action shots and celebrities.

If the collection remained in Warwick under county ownership, it would also=
=20
be made available for public research and use by schools to inspire=20
generations of engineers.

If enough money can be raised, the items would also be digitalised to allow=
=20
for greater international exposure.

Speaking about the need to raise enough money to preserve the archive,=20
county councillor Jeff Clarke, portfolio holder for the environment, said:=
=20
=E2=80=9CWarwickshire=E2=80=99s industrial heritage is something to shout a=
bout.

=E2=80=9CThe Healey brand is known throughout the world and deserves celebr=
ation=20
here too. This project has already attracted international attention. We=20
need to build on that to secure Warwickshire=E2=80=99s reputation as a grea=
t place=20
for business.=E2=80=9D
To make a donation, visit or send a cheque payable to Friends of the=20
Warwickshire County Record Office to the office in Priory Park, Cape Road,=
=20
Warwick CV34 4JS, or via heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk

Read more:=20
http://healey.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/4681/latest/1#ixzz=
3ybz13y9a
<http://healey.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/4681/latest/1#ixz=
z3ybz13y9a>

=20

------=_Part_2046546_1554845617.1454048763511

 needs support</strong></p>
th of Warwick Healey&rsquo;s motor car history has gained international sup=
port to help raise thousands of pounds. <br /> <br />The Warwickshire Count=
y Record Office wants to buy the Warwick Healey Motor Company Archive to pr=
eserve and restore items and ensure they remain available for public viewin=
g.</strong></p>
text-align: left; text-decoration: none;">&nbsp;</div>
text-align: left; text-decoration: none;">Keith Bates from A Head 4 Healeys=
 presenting a cheque to Rob Eyre, Senior Archivist at Warwickshire County R=
ecord Office. Images taken from the Warwick Healey Motor Company Archive <b=
r /> <br /> <br />The motorcar archives, which are publicly available in Wa=
rwick where the company was born, have been offered to the county office fo=
r sale. But they may be split up and sold off at private auctions if the de=
al does not go through. <br /> <br />The record office has now launched a f=
undraising campaign to raise &pound;120,000 to preserve the archive - and i=
t already has already attracted support from the Austin Healey Club USA whi=
ch will feature the campaign in the new year edition of its magazine. <br /=
ee the historical collection remain in public hands and it is hoped the exp=
osure will help draw in funds. <br /> <br />The iconic car company was foun=
ded in Warwick in 1945 by Donald Healey - a successful car designer and ral=
 high quality, high performance cars and was based in an old aircraft compo=
nents factory off Miller Road. He later had a showroom in Emscote Road whic=
h was demolished and the block of flats on the site is commemoratively name=
granddaughter of the famous company founder, has spoken of her desire to se=
e the archive kept in its birthplace for continued public enjoyment. <br />=
for this collection which our father saved. <br /> <br />&ldquo;We are sure=
 this is the best place for it as it can be viewed by everyone equally for =
free in perpetuity. It goes without saying that it was also the birthplace =
of the cars. <br />
text-align: left; text-decoration: none;">&nbsp;</div>
ealey 100. Images taken from the Warwick Healey Motor Company Archive <br /=
owards the bid with help from groups including the Friends of the National =
Libraries and King Henry VIII Trust. <br /> <br />There are also planned bi=
ds of &pound;72,500 to come from the Heritage Lottery Fund. <br /> <br />Th=
e Friends of Warwickshire County Record Office hope to raise an initial &po=
und;9,000 in private donations to help save this unique piece of Britain&rs=
quo;s motor and design history. <br /> <br />But the team is still &pound;3=
0,000 short of making the sale to secure the collection - and are appealing=
 for public donations to help.</strong></p>
text-align: left; text-decoration: none;"><br />Read more: <a style=3D"colo=
r: #003399;" href=3D"http://healey.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_=
id/4681/latest/1#ixzz3ybzg6iUc">http://healey.hyperboards.com/action/view_t=
opic/topic_id/4681/latest/1#ixzz3ybzg6iUc</a></div>
ng early research and development designs, business records, letters detail=
ing the company&rsquo;s involvement in motor racing and test results for la=
nd speed records. <br /> <br />The collection also includes numerous photog=
raphs of various Healey models including action shots and celebrities. <br =
/> <br />If the collection remained in Warwick under county ownership, it w=
ould also be made available for public research and use by schools to inspi=
re generations of engineers. <br /> <br />If enough money can be raised, th=
e items would also be digitalised to allow for greater international exposu=
re. <br /> <br />Speaking about the need to raise enough money to preserve =
the archive, county councillor Jeff Clarke, portfolio holder for the enviro=
nment, said: &ldquo;Warwickshire&rsquo;s industrial heritage is something t=
o shout about. <br /> <br />&ldquo;The Healey brand is known throughout the=
 world and deserves celebration here too. This project has already attracte=
d international attention. We need to build on that to secure Warwickshire&=
rsquo;s reputation as a great place for business.&rdquo; <br />To make a do=
nation, visit or send a cheque payable to Friends of the Warwickshire Count=
y Record Office to the office in Priory Park, Cape Road, Warwick CV34 4JS, =
or via heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk</p>
text-align: left; text-decoration: none;"><br />Read more: <a style=3D"colo=
r: #003399;" href=3D"http://healey.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_=
id/4681/latest/1#ixzz3ybz13y9a">http://healey.hyperboards.com/action/view_t=
opic/topic_id/4681/latest/1#ixzz3ybz13y9a</a></div>
------=_Part_2046546_1554845617.1454048763511--