Re: [Healeys] 1934 Chrysler Airflow...why can't today's cars be built th

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 1934 Chrysler Airflow...why can't today's cars be built this sturdy
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 07:24:45 +0100
--===============7179095898179385290==
 boundary="------------040806080205040300090708"

--------------040806080205040300090708

Just as well they do not build them like that any more. This car would
be lethal in an collision as it does not crumple up to absorb the blow
or G-forces to the occupants. Note that there are no passengers when the
car is pushed of the cliff!!!! Very unlikely that an occupant would have
avoided death or very serious injury.
Modern cars have good crumple zones (plus multiple airbags and 3-point
seatbelts that tighten at an impact) protecting occupants fairly well.
They would have escaped the same drop with no or little injury. I would
rather have a crumpled car that is totalled than a crumpled body.
The overturning of the car is not at all that dangerous to the occupants
when wearing seatbelts, as the driver was. There is no
deceleration/G-force to speak of. The driver just gets dizzy. It looks
rather spectacular, that is why these kind of overturns are loved by
stuntmen in films.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 28-1-2016 om 21:24 schreef i erbs:

> Ira Erbs
> Portland,OR
> 1959 BN4 100-6
> with BT7 engine and disk brakes.

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2016.0.7357 / Virusdatabase: 4522/11505 - datum van uitgifte:
> 01/28/16

--------------040806080205040300090708

  <head>
  </head>
      like that any more. This car would be lethal in an collision as it
      does not crumple up to absorb the blow or G-forces to the
      occupants. Note that there are no passengers when the car is
      pushed of the cliff!!!! Very unlikely that an occupant would have
      avoided death or very serious injury.<br>
      Modern cars have good crumple zones (plus multiple airbags and
      3-point seatbelts that tighten at an impact) protecting occupants
      fairly well. They would have escaped the same drop with no or
      little injury. I would rather have a crumpled car that is totalled
      than a crumpled body.<br>
      The overturning of the car is not at all that dangerous to the
      occupants when wearing seatbelts, as the driver was. There is no
      deceleration/G-force to speak of. The driver just gets dizzy. It
      looks rather spectacular, that is why these kind of overturns are
      loved by stuntmen in films.<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      Op 28-1-2016 om 21:24 schreef i erbs:<br>
cite="mid:CABXhz88ZpaRtZqiQd38HOiLmKCMCQnTvujuneaZix8Rg-txiog@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
                            Chrysler Airflow...why can't today's cars be
                            built this sturdy?</b><br>
                              end!<br>
                                        DO YOU THINK OUR CARS OF TODAY
                                        COULD PASS THESE TESTS ?<br>
                                        1934 Chrysler Airflow Goes Over
                                        The Cliff<br>
                                        And Drives Awayâ?¦<br>
                                        Wow, when they put on safety
                                        demos back in the day,
                                        supervised, they stated, by
                                        "hard boiled" State Troopers.
                                         (Road &amp; Track)<br>
                                        I wonder how today's car would
                                        hold up under the same tests?
                                        BTW, we have one of these
                                        Airflows at the Sacramento Auto
                                        Museum. They were<br>
                                        only made for four years, 1934 â??
                                        1937 and sold by both DeSoto
                                        and Chrysler. They never sold as
                                        well as the manufacturer wanted.
                                        People<br>
                                        just werenâ??t ready for the new
                                        futuristic design.<br>
                                        <a moz-do-not-send="true"
                                          rel="nofollow"
title="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bFl5pEe-7uo?feature=player_detailpage";
href="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bFl5pEe-7uo?feature=player_detailpage";

target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/embed/bFl5pEe-7uo?feature=player_detailpage</a>      <br>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2016.0.7357 / Virusdatabase: 4522/11505 - datum van
        uitgifte: 01/28/16</p>

--------------040806080205040300090708--