Re: [Healeys] 100 water pump

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 water pump
From: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2016 17:48:44 -0500
Cc: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Speaking of Ed, whatever happened to him?

tom
---- Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com> wrote:

=============
On the subject of spelling I have read that in previous times--perhaps even
into the 19th century--it was considered a mark of erudition for one to use
more than one spelling of the same word in a writing.  I am not talking
about words that have actual alternative spellings--such as
inquire/enquire--I mean spellings that today would be considered completely
incorrect.

Whether this was a function of ignorance or style I don't know but I have
seen it in letters, etc. from the period written by people who were
obviously literate but perhaps more permissive in their spelling.

Best--Michael Oritt