Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Question

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Question
From: Austin Healeys List <austinhealeyslist@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 23:12:38 +1300
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
References: <DM3PR19MB0569BB7437DFE4126C04E71BA5A90@DM3PR19MB0569.namprd19.prod.outlook.com> <001b01d22f38$f26512f0$d72f38d0$@sbcglobal.net> <1925088485.29171543.1477489233889.JavaMail.zimbra@comcast.net> <A9D032D52C2F4582BF61C5A6EBCB998B@WINDOWST93OFP9> <017201d23849$8c07dfa0$a4179ee0$@gmail.com> <63F3A642D1E44B0CBFF4326BFF61F1C4@WINDOWST93OFP9> <DM3PR19MB056992CD9C024F2F4B91DEE3A5B90@DM3PR19MB0569.namprd19.prod.outlook.com> <CAB3i7LLe2nJOtdWndYBmYY+TPyidD07SzT9pw62g+vd1QFzNtw@mail.gmail.com>
Hi Michael,

As more than just a few people have experienced, adding sealant will
work for a short time and then begin to leak once the initial bond
breaks down due to relative movement. The problem is really that the
rear housing doesn't have enough fasteners for the loads it
experiences and the flange faces move around in use.

We have to give the sealant a fighting chance and use it within its
intended range of flexibility if we want it to stay oil-tight. Even
the best sealant will only stretch so much before it fails and this is
known as elongation. A very thin film of sealant can only move a very
small amount before failing and that is all that is happening in the
OD flange.

A simple way to reduce elongation as mentioned earlier is to increase
the thickness of the sealant so the movement of the faces represents a
much smaller percentage of the sealant. Grinding or cutting a groove
around the gasket faces for the sealant to fill achieves this nicely
and as long as it is all clean and dry during assembly with a modern
silicone sealant there will be no more leaks.

Andy.