Re: [Healeys] su pumps again

To: Austin Healeys List <austinhealeyslist@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] su pumps again
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 19:52:42 +0100
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
I have not come across the single layer diaphragms. I have seen offered
on ebay new dual layer ones from China and the UK. So far I have had
enough scrap pumps of the wrong type to provide enough good triple layer
diaphragms for the ones that were fit for a rebuild as the so called
High Pressure type I want, AUF301 or W/AZX1307/8 or equivalent, so I
have no experience with the modern replacements.
The permeation of petrol will probably very, very little if any, so I
would not worry about it. Some modern rubbers withstand all fuels and so
as long as these are used it will probably be OK. Time will tell. Anyway
the pumps cast iron coil housing and the space on top under the bakelite
cap over the points assembly is vented.
As the old triple layer diaphragms seem to last for ever I would not
replace them other then when they have become hard and cracked or when
the thin plastic membrane that keeps the petrol away from the rubber is
damaged.
Kees Oudesluijs