[Healeys] Selecting a replacement CAM for BJ8

Subject: [Healeys] Selecting a replacement CAM for BJ8
From: drmasucci at comcast.net (drmasucci at comcast.net)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 11:12:46 +0000 (UTC)
Hi All,

Well now that spring is here, I am resuming the rebuild of my BJ8 engine. The
engine was rebuilt back in 1999, but since I'm doing a full resto of the car, I
decided to take a look at the engine. While all other parameters were well
within spec, the cam and lifters were damaged. Back then I didn't know much
about modern oils and the lack of zinc, and since that's the only part of the
engine that didn't do well, I am assuming that must be why.

So I am now trying to decide what to do. I can have my cam reground, or buy
new. Since I believe it was already reground and based on the wear, I am
thinking maybe new is the best choice. I am looking for stock or mild tune
only.

I am not a pro engine builder, but I know the basics and am not new to the
process. I know that if I change something like the cam parameters, I need to
understand how that affects the rest of the valve train. I looking for guidance
on selecting the right components.

I am considering the Welch DWR8 cam and lifter package. I understand that I
will have to machine pockets into the block for valve clearance. I will be
having the head rebuilt to basic stock parameters as far as the valve gear is
concerned. I need to determine how to select the correct pushrods. Since this
cam is drilled to feed oil to the lobes, do I need to make other modifications
to support that feature?

So I'm looking for some feedback and recommendations from the list. Has anyone
followed a similar path on their 6 cylinder Healey? Any opinions, cautions, or
advice would be appreciated. Is this cam my best choice? Also if there are
better options to consider I'd like to hear that also.

As usual, thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
64 BJ8
72 XJ6
72 Bonneville