[Healeys] Selecting a replacement CAM for BJ8

Subject: [Healeys] Selecting a replacement CAM for BJ8
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 07:17:45 -0700
Hi Dave,

I just finished a rebuild on my BJ8; my engine--with over 100K
miles--was in similar condition to yours with significant cam lobe and
lifter wear.  I installed a DWR1 cam; it's more appropriate if you're
really ' looking for stock or mild tune only.'   The DWR1 is 'slightly
better than stock', in DWR's word's, and should be most appropriate for
a street/touring car as the torque curve is lower. I don't think you'll
gain much if anything with the DWR8 unless you at least use headers and
port your head--or buy one of DWR's alloy heads--and then additional
tuning is required.  Steve G.--on this list, I believe--is doing a build
with a DWR8 cam, but he has headers and the rest of his engine is likely
tuned for the higher torque/power band.  The DWR1 doesn't want to go
much over 4,500RPM, but I do mostly long distance touring so I'm usually
running 2,500RPM, give-or-take.  I do a lot of driving '100 miles from
nowhere' so I generally go pretty easy on my drivetrain.

DWR recommends their High Capacity oil pump when using their gun-drilled
cam, unless you're going to spend time over 6,000RPM (in which case
you'll probably want their billet crankshaft, conrods, pistons, etc.).
Since you had cam/lifter damage, be sure to clean all components--e.g.
rocker shaft--thoroughly to remove any debris. My builder was adamant
about that.  You can use either 'standard' lifters with your current
pushrods, or get bucket lifters and their pushrods.  I went with
standard.  I sourced an adjustable, vernier timing set from Australia;
my builder said the cam did require some adjustment.

DWR Support has a chat facility; they are very responsive but, of
course, there's a significant time difference.  Whichever cam you use,
please let us know your results.

Bob