[Healeys] BJ-8 fuel sending unit - changed?

Subject: [Healeys] BJ-8 fuel sending unit - changed?
From: austin.healey at gmail.com (Chris Dimmock)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 10:11:35 +1000
Hi Al,
Leaving aside New and old senders, If you go back to first principles, the
sender float should sit down in the recessed area of the tank when the tank is
empty.
That's why there is a recessed area in the tank. Because when the centre height
line of the float is at the same level of the bottom of the tank, (I.e. The
float is sitting fully in the recess) then you get a reasonably accurate empty
reading.
Forget the orientation of the screw terminal. It has no bearing on the
orientation or location of the sender float. I've seen original senders exactly
as you described.
The second issue is the wire arm is bent like an elbow. If it isn't bent on the
correct angle, again, the float won't sit neatly in the recessed area.
So I'd fit the sender unit so that the float is aimed to sit in the recess, and
then trial and error fiddle with the bend in the wire to make it sit cleanly at
the bottom of the recess.
Then you should have an empty reading.
I'm sure there are "electric" methods of adjustment, but you have to get the
"mechanical" stuff correct first.
Best
Chris