[Healeys] Pan Mysteries

Subject: [Healeys] Pan Mysteries
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 06:50:19 -0700
Got a couple of real mysteries here:

1) Oil pans on the 6-cyl cars--don't know about the 100s--have a small,
er, something--tab?--spot-welded on the inside bottom in front of the
baffle.  I can't for the life of me think of any (obvious) purpose for
this but, as usual, there must be a reason else BMC accountants wouldn't
have allowed an extra half-quid in parts and labor to install it
(attached photo 1).  Guesses?

2) The pans all have a fairly large 'dimple,' for lack of a better term
punched in the front on the left-hand side (photo 2). All I can think of
is it must have something to do with the way the pans were stamped, as
they appear to be made from a single piece of sheet metal.  I think if
it's for reinforcement, why not a couple or, better yet, one at each
corner.  Any guesses?

Bob