[Healeys] DMV No Go

Subject: [Healeys] DMV No Go
From: RFBegani at speakeasy.net (Robert F. Begani)
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 16:43:33 -0400
Reminds me to the same problem trying to register a sailboat in Florida which
was bought at auction in Florida.  The marina did not do the sale of the boat
in accordance with Florida Law, so began our 1-2 year back and forth with the
DMV.  At first the marina basically said it was our problem.  I got involved
and mentioned that the Sherriff and the country law enforcement authorities
might consider a fraud action and the $5,000 sale price is a major felony and
could mean jail time.  So we began together to try and obtain clear title from
KY.  Once the marina sent the KY owner, who sold the boat 5 years ago, the
notice of auction because of storage fees owed as the 2 subsequent owners never
register the boat, we thought we had proper documents for a title and
registration.  Then the lady at the DMV claimed she would not proceed because
the VIN was not 13 digits.  I explained the boat was built in Canada.  She
argued it makes no difference, KY or some previous state should have made the
conversion.  After spending quality time on Boat Blogs, I found how to convert
the Hull # to 13 digits. Still she said NO!  So I went over to another DMV and
explained the situation and a more reasonable lady got the computer to work up
a title without going back to the owner in KY.   By the way, my sailing Buddy
continued to sail the boat for 3 years without a title and registration because
it was originally Federally Documented so it could travel outside the USA.
Terribly illegal, but, as long as you do not get stopped, ?only the shadow
knows?.

These lists on the internet are great sources of information.

Bob Begani