[Healeys] 28% OD with 3.54 rearend

Subject: [Healeys] 28% OD with 3.54 rearend
From: simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk (Simon Lachlan)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 16:51:10 -0000
Yes, I've got a 28% and a 3:54 on my MkII BT7.
I find it very beneficial. Much better for distance work on Motorways and no
lack of response at lower speeds.
There's enough power to make up for the longer ratios and, if you need anything
extra, you can just use or remain in a lower gear for longer. I have no regrets
about fitting them.
I was lucky insofar as I looked for a diff from an automatic  Westminster for
some years before finding one at a v.good price. This begs the
question....would I be prepared to pay the fairly stiff cost of a 3:54 from one
of our usual suspects??? Not sure....probably.
Again, would I take out a perfectly good 22% and install a 28%? No. (I had to
have a total rebuild done on my OD as it had somehow done the reversing into
shrapnel trick. I don't know why/how to this day....the 1st/2nd & reverse
switch checked out fine. Anyhow, I opted for 28% at no extra cost.)
Simon