[Healeys] Steering Box Rebuild

Subject: [Healeys] Steering Box Rebuild
From: ronfineesq at earthlink.net (Ron Fine)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 10:00:43 -0700
The steering box on my BN7 has developed a major problem.  I am anticipating
having to pull it and replace the two ball bearings but I was wondering if
anyone else has experienced a similar problem.  I noticed that the steering
wheel seemed to be sticking in multiple spots in the rotation while driving.
Once I got the car up on jacks with the weight off the front tires it became
obvious that the wheel is sticking or tight every 3-5 degrees of rotation from
full right to left.  The only thing I can think of that might be causing that
would be a broken ball bearing although I am not sure why that would happen
other than old age.  The box does have a full load of grease and has worked
fine for the 13  years since my restoration was completed.

Has anyone else had to rebuild a steering box due to such a failure?  Is there
anyway to anticipate the number or size of shims I should have on hand to
complete a rebuild?

Thanks,

Ron Fine
61BN7