[Healeys] SU fuel pump polarity

Subject: [Healeys] SU fuel pump polarity
From: coudesluijs at chello.nl (Kees Oudesluijs)
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 10:41:43 +0200
These pumps are both equipped with a diode and both are thus polarity
sensitive. The difference is in the colour code of the wiring of the
diode. Red in one diode is black in the other. If you have a negative
earth pump you can use it on a positive earth car if you change over the
two wires of the diode and visa versa. These are later SU-Burlen pumps,
not original SU?s. They probably have the taped plastic stepped caps
instead of the Bakelite cylindrical caps sealed by a rubber band and
taped over by tape with the SU logo.

The older SU AUF301 pumps usually have a capacitor, a greyish/yellow
cylindrical item with the the wires at both ends. These pumps are not
polarity sensitive.

I usually replace the diodes and capacitors by a transil, in fact a
2-way Zener diode which is bipolar and limits the voltage across the
points to 18V, thus practically preventing sparking. These are also not
polarity sensitive.

The transil will cost you though, $0,10-$5!!!, depending on quantity.

The AZX1307 is not the correct pump for the AH. The original on later
cars was AUF300 series, mostly 301 but there are some variations. The
replacement of the AUF301 is AZX1308 which delivers a higher pressure,
if my memory is correct 3,8psi versus 2,7psi

Kees Oudesluijs