Re: [Healeys] Grease. What is best

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Grease. What is best
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 08:25:48 -0800

--------------EFC053A3D2F8710F61AB2898

All greases are oil with a thickening agent; cheap, everyday grease uses
finely ground diatomaceous earth, 'moly' grease uses molybdenum, lithium
grease uses lithium, etc.  I don't know, but suspect, 'synthetic' grease
is synthetic oil with an (unknown) thickening agent.  Since it's just a
mixture--no chemical bonding involved--the oil will eventually separate
and flow out.  I have noticed that wheel bearing grease isn't as prone
to this as 'regular' grease; I have some Redline synthetic wheel bearing
grease that has sat on the shelf for a couple years with no separation,
and even some non-synthetic Sta-Lube wheel bearing grease that I've had
for maybe 20 shows little sign of separation, but it's usually too thick
to use in a grease gun.  I bought some 'water pump' grease many years
ago when I had a pump with open bearings, but it's really thick and tacky.

I think it's more of a messy nuisance than anything, as long as the
grease is still soft, oily and slippery it's probably good for normal usage.

Bob

On 11/29/2018 7:28 PM, Roland Wilhelmy wrote:
> The instructions with the grease gun supplied with my bn1â?? specify
> that the grease not be too solid.   So I would guess that the factory
> expectation was that we would lubricate early and often.
> -Roland
>
> Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

  <head>
  </head>
      grease uses finely ground diatomaceous earth, 'moly' grease uses
      molybdenum, lithium grease uses lithium, etc.  I don't know, but
      suspect, 'synthetic' grease is synthetic oil with an (unknown)
      thickening agent.  Since it's just a mixture--no chemical bonding
      involved--the oil will eventually separate and flow out.  I have
      noticed that wheel bearing grease isn't as prone to this as
      'regular' grease; I have some Redline synthetic wheel bearing
      grease that has sat on the shelf for a couple years with no
      separation, and even some non-synthetic Sta-Lube wheel bearing
      grease that I've had for maybe 20 shows little sign of separation,
      but it's usually too thick to use in a grease gun.  I bought some
      'water pump' grease many years ago when I had a pump with open
      bearings, but it's really thick and tacky.</p>
      the grease is still soft, oily and slippery it's probably good for
      normal usage.<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:20181130032807.4595795.88397.13910@gmail.com">
        'Slate Pro', sans-serif, sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125);
        text-align: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">The
        instructions with the grease gun supplied with my bn1â?? specify
        that the grease not be too solid.   So I would guess that the
        factory expectation was that we would lubricate early and
        often. </div>
        'Slate Pro', sans-serif, sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125);
        text-align: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
255);">-Roland</div>
        'Slate Pro', sans-serif, sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125);
        text-align: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"><br
          style="display:initial">
        sans-serif, sans-serif; color: rgb(31, 73, 125); text-align:
        initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255,
255);">Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.</div>
        width="100%">
        <tbody>
              initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">
                border-top-color: rgb(181, 196, 223); border-top-width:
                1pt; padding: 3pt 0in 0in; font-family: Tahoma, 'BB
                Alpha Sans', 'Slate Pro'; font-size: 10pt;">
        </tbody>
          charset=UTF-8">
          medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
        {margin:0in;
        margin-bottom:.0001pt;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:#954F72;
        text-decoration:underline;}
.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;}
@page WordSection1
        {size:8.5in 11.0in;
        margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}
--></style>
            with grease in my grease gun leaking all over the place when
            stored.</p>
            purchased what I thought was a good product and even bought
            a new gun. Normally I will grease the car once or twice a
            year and lay the gun down only to find a gooey mess next
            time I use it. Mobil synthetic is the most recent brand. Red
            soup all over the place. Have used others. Tried storing
            upright, still leaks. This cannot be good for all those
            points requiring effective lubrication?</p>
              href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986";
              moz-do-not-send="true">Mail</a> for Windows 10</p>
        <!--end of _originalContent --></div>

--------------EFC053A3D2F8710F61AB2898--

--===============0114625633439266043==