[Healeys] Another Rant on replacement parts

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Another Rant on replacement parts
From: editorgary--- via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 18:38:17 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_640163_1972367484.1563129497640

 Frankly, I don't and never have accepted the lame excuse from Moss Motors =
(in whatever ownership/management incarnation) that they have to provide il=
l-fitting, unsuitable poor-wearing and out-of-spec parts because a continge=
nt of our hobby "won't pay the higher price for quality parts."
In my view, the near-monopoly supplier of parts for our hobby should be pro=
viding replacements that in fit, material and quality match the original pa=
rts and that is the only level of quality that they will sell. When they se=
ll poor parts just because the supplier makes them for less and charges les=
s, then they undermine the respectability of the original marque around whi=
ch the hobby was built and leave people believing that Healeys -- and by ex=
tension all "old English cars" were of poor quality and reliability when th=
ey were originally built.=20

Provide good quality that produces good performance and it will be reflecte=
d in the prices of the cars on the market. There is a reason why Mercedes-B=
enz models that once cost the same as our cars of the same vintage are now =
worth more on the market than our cars. It's because the primary supplier o=
f replacement parts for Mercedes-Benzes is Daimler AG and they will only se=
ll parts that are of equivalent quality to the originals. For those hobbyis=
ts who find those prices unacceptable, they can substitute sweat equity in =
hunting for parts off unrestorable examples.=20

Just one person's opinion, mind you, but I have first-hand experience in re=
storing, driving and buying/selling both brands.
BestGary Anderson
=20
=20

=20

=C2=A0 =C2=A0 As far as repops go, I asked a Moss rep one time why a lot of=
 the reproduction parts and the rubber was so bad and did not fit well.=C2=
=A0 He told me that he could sell better parts for our cars but very few pe=
ople will buy them.=C2=A0 If he lists both a premium part and a cheaper ver=
sion, almost 95% will buy the cheap part. It would be foolish to inventory =
such slow moving parts, so they sell what the majority will buy.=C2=A0 Ever=
yone wants the parts to be cheap.=C2=A0 S

=C2=A0 =C2=A0 So, I guess you get what you pay for.

Mike MacLean

=20

------=_Part_640163_1972367484.1563129497640

from Moss Motors (in whatever ownership/management incarnation) that they have
to provide ill-fitting, unsuitable poor-wearing and out-of-spec parts because a
contingent of our hobby "won't pay the higher price for quality
parts."</font></div>

hobby should be providing replacements that in fit, material and quality match
the original parts and that is the only level of quality that they will sell.
When they sell poor parts just because the supplier makes them for less and
charges less, then they undermine the respectability of the original marque
around which the hobby was built and leave people believing that Healeys -- and
by extension all "old English cars" were of poor quality and reliability when
they were originally built. <br>

will be reflected in the prices of the cars on the market. There is a reason
why Mercedes-Benz models that once cost the same as our cars of the same
vintage are now worth more on the market than our cars. It's because the
primary supplier of replacement parts for Mercedes-Benzes is Daimler AG and
they will only sell parts that are of equivalent quality to the originals. For
those hobbyists who find those prices unacceptable, they can substitute sweat
equity in hunting for parts off unrestorable examples. <br>

experience in restoring, driving and buying/selling both brands.</font></div>

why a lot of the reproduction parts and the rubber was so bad and did not fit
well.&nbsp; He told me that he could sell better parts for our cars but very
few people will buy them.&nbsp; If he lists both a premium part and a cheaper
version, almost 95% will buy the cheap part. It would be foolish to inventory
such slow moving parts, so they sell what the majority will buy.&nbsp; Everyone
wants the parts to be cheap.&nbsp; S<br>

------=_Part_640163_1972367484.1563129497640--

--===============7654068795991433794==