Re: [Healeys] Rear wheel cylinders on a BJ8

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Rear wheel cylinders on a BJ8
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 17:53:18 -0700

--------------ADEA92FB84C63D14163CA49E

OT, a little, but I've never understood the physics of this.  When I
ride my bike, I can lock up the rear wheel and all it does is skid.

Bob

On 8/27/2019 9:29 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Have to agree with Kees on this one.
> We have a brake bias control on AHX12 and I can certainly attest to
> the fact that when the conditions change to "wet" removing a lot of
> rear braking is absolutely essential to prevent the car from swapping
> ends.
> As most road cars don't have adjustable brake bias I would be very
> careful in trying to increase the rear braking.
> When braking into a corner the last thing you want is the rear end
> coming around, particularly in the wet.

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 12:09 PM Kees Oudesluijs
>
>     Whatch out driving in the rain as the rear brakes will lock the rear
>     wheels much quicker than with the smaller pistons.Rear brakes are
>     only
>     providing a small portion of the total brake force.
>
>     Kees Oudesluijs
>
>     Op 27-8-2019 om 18:04 schreef Chris Dimmock:
>     > Hi Men
>     > Has anyone else ever changed their rear wheel cylinders from 3/4
>     inch to 7/8 inch?
>     > I just did. Sick of the rear brakes doing nothing. Freeloaders!!
>     > Yes, no problem with seized wheel cylinders, no problem with the
>     flexible hose - just bugger all wear on the rear linings.
>     > I'll let you know how it goes on my BJ8
>     > Best
>     > Chris

--------------ADEA92FB84C63D14163CA49E

  <head>
  </head>
    OT, a little, but I've never understood the physics of this.  When I
    ride my bike, I can lock up the rear wheel and all it does is skid.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+sPTscE+CA4S6GZ6U+wYysrnUXY_nYFt5Rg-M5TxNXMQ@mail.gmail.com">
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Have to agree with Kees on this
          one. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">We have a brake bias control on
          AHX12 and I can certainly attest to the fact that when the
          conditions change to "wet" removing a lot of rear braking is
          absolutely essential to prevent the car from swapping ends. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">As most road cars don't have
          adjustable brake bias I would be very careful in trying to
          increase the rear braking.</div>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">When braking into a corner the
          last thing you want is the rear end coming around,
          particularly in the wet.</div>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small"><br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br>
          PM Kees Oudesluijs &lt;<a href="mailto:coudesluijs@chello.nl";
            moz-do-not-send="true">coudesluijs@chello.nl</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Whatch
          out driving in the rain as the rear brakes will lock the rear
          wheels much quicker than with the smaller pistons.Rear brakes
          are only <br>
          providing a small portion of the total brake force.<br>
          Kees Oudesluijs<br>
          Op 27-8-2019 om 18:04 schreef Chris Dimmock:<br>
          &gt; Hi Men<br>
          &gt; Has anyone else ever changed their rear wheel cylinders
          from 3/4 inch to 7/8 inch?<br>
          &gt; I just did. Sick of the rear brakes doing nothing.
          Freeloaders!!<br>
          &gt; Yes, no problem with seized wheel cylinders, no problem
          with the flexible hose - just bugger all wear on the rear
          linings.<br>
          &gt; I'll let you know how it goes on my BJ8<br>
          &gt; Best<br>
          &gt; Chris<br>

--------------ADEA92FB84C63D14163CA49E--

--===============4412550082077600043==