Re: [Healeys] Electric fan

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Electric fan
From: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 08:45:34 +0100

--------------3C494679B3DDBBED034A2A22

A spoiler/baffle/air dam only works at some speed. It will do nothing in
a traffic jam and little in climbing steep slopes or in slow traffic.
Fitting a core with extra rows is always a good thing, you can never
have enough cooling capacity. However it increases air flow resistance
so you really should fit an electric fan.

Kees Oudesluijs

Op 30-10-2019 om 04:57 schreef Robert Begani:

> Stephen:
>
> As part of my rebuilding the engine in my BJ8, I installed a fan on
> the outside of the radiator with a manual switch for now.  In
> addition, I installed the â??Shovelâ?? a baffle on the underside of the
> radiator to direct air into the engine compartment rather than going
> down under the engine.  Early driving of short distances on highways
> and city streets without the fan indicates that the Shovel is a great
> improvement for driving without overheating.  I can go along at 20-30
> mph in light traffic and some stopping with no overheating.  However,
> you still need a fan to keep the engine from overheating in the hot
> Florida Sun.
>
> On the other hand, I did not have an overheating problem driving in
> the Chicago and Suburbs when we lived there for over 30 years which is
> about the same climate as Toronto, more or less as long as I stayed
> away from traffic jams in the summer months. Southern Florida is hot
> all the time!  Next I will re-core the radiator.
>
> Bob Begani
>
> 67 BJ8

  <head>
  </head>
      nothing in a traffic jam and little in climbing steep slopes or in
      slow traffic. Fitting a core with extra rows is always a good
      thing, you can never have enough cooling capacity. However it
      increases air flow resistance so you really should fit an electric
      fan.<br>
      Begani:<br>
      cite="mid:02c801d58ed6$37563600$a602a200$@gmail.com">
        medium)">
            in my BJ8, I installed a fan on the outside of the radiator
            with a manual switch for now.  In addition, I installed the
            â??Shovelâ?? a baffle on the underside of the radiator to direct
            air into the engine compartment rather than going down under
            the engine.  Early driving of short distances on highways
            and city streets without the fan indicates that the Shovel
            is a great improvement for driving without overheating.  I
            can go along at 20-30 mph in light traffic and some stopping
            with no overheating.  However, you still need a fan to keep
            the engine from overheating in the hot Florida Sun.</span></p>
            overheating problem driving in the Chicago and Suburbs when
            we lived there for over 30 years which is about the same
            climate as Toronto, more or less as long as I stayed away
            from traffic jams in the summer months. Southern Florida is
            hot all the time!  Next I will re-core the radiator.</span></p>
          <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
 <b>On Behalf Of </b>warthodson---
          via Healeys<br>
          <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:s.hutchings@rogers.com";>s.hutchings@rogers.com</a>; <a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                here are a few things to consider:</span></p>
                factory option. It has made a measurable difference on
                my car. Many of the usual suppliers offer it. Some of
                these repros. have a reputation for fatigue cracking
                with disastrous results. I have had mine for 8-10 years
                &amp; I inspect it annually. No problem so far.</span></p>
                thermostat that has a moving sleeve to block the bypass
                port when the t'stat reaches the operating temp? If not,
                you are loosing some of the radiator's efficiency. </span></p>
                baffles installed? </span></p>
                with 15-25% antifreeze will improve the heat transfer
                efficiency of your cooling system measurably when
                compared to a 50% or higher mix. </span></p>
                water pump lubrication. I drain the 50% solution into
                Jugs in the spring &amp; put a 20% solution in. I save
                the 50% solution &amp; reverse the process in the
fall. </span></p>
                radiator re-cored with a more efficient
                of the increased load of the electric fan?</span></p>
                practical, I assumed it meant easy &amp;/or inexpensive,
                there are more things that can be done to improve the
                cooling system efficiency.</span></p>
                From: Stephen Hutchings &lt;<a
                  href="mailto:s.hutchings@rogers.com";
                  moz-do-not-send="true">s.hutchings@rogers.com</a>&gt;<br>
                  most practical way to install an electric fan.</span></p>
                  the original fan blades as well, and switch on the
                  electric one when itâ??s really needed, and others go
                  for a complete electric replacement with a
thermostat.</span></p>
                  in, and Iâ??ve got away without it so far. But I really
                  hate getting stuck in traffic in hot weather- doesnâ??t
                  happen often but it can get pretty damn hot under
                  those circumstances, and it would be nice to have one
                  less thing to be concerned with when travelling.</span></p>
                  so awful, no matter how strategic your timing is- you
                  can still get stuck.</span></p>
                  the winter, Iâ??m thinking about possible future
                  projects.</span></p>
                    href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                    target="_blank"
                  $12.75</span></p>