Re: [Healeys] Oil Pumps

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Pumps
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 10:24:07 -0800
Vewwwwwy interesting ...

Would oil pressure be at least an indirect indicator of how much load
the pump is putting on the cam and driveshaft gears?  IIRC, the nominal
proper pressures for a Big Healey engine are 20psi at hot idle--which,
per the book, is 600RPM--and 40-45 at speed?  When I bought my BJ8 the
safety gauge would indicate zero pressure at hot idle; obviously some
oil was flowing or the engine would have seized in a few seconds.  When
I finally got the safety gauge refurbished, by West Vally Instruments, I
'gained' 15-20psi at hot idle and still showed 45psi or so at speed.  I
got the exact same readings after installing the DWM 'High Capacity'
pump but I figure the gun-drilled camshaft is effectively a large 'leak.'

I'm not a fluid dynamicist, but wouldn't, say, 45psi from either a
vane/rotor type pump put the same load on the cam gear and driveshaft as
45psi from a gear-type pump, all other factors--oil viscosity,
etc.--being equal?  Or, is there some other factor(s) at play?  Do the
gear-type pumps produce lower pressure (seems to me that's the only way
they'd reduce the load on the gears and the cam thrust plate)?

Bob