Cooling..

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Cooling..
From: "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <mayfield@traveller.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 16:20:43
Thanks to all those who took the time to provide input of some sort or
another. I guess what I was looking for was a rule of thumb that says you
need x gpm at y psig to keep a motor of z hp cool. Yes I know that the
radiator has to be sized correctly and that enough water is available. Are
any of the electric pumps good enough for a 3 mile course or do I have to
use the belt driven pump to get enough water through the system? How many
of you run electric pumps and what is the engine output? I expect to have
about 650 hp from dual turbo'd engine. Somewhere I read that fully 1/3 of
engine output goes into the water. So would I have 225 hp going up as steam
in the cooling system? If I convert the hp to watts aor btu is this a good
way to figure cooling requirements? Or do I just buy a pump and radiator
and try it and go bigger if it doesn't do the job. I have requested
information from Stewart, Mezier, Ford plus some of the others and no
answers.

Again, thanks to those who replied.

mayf

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
1-256-837-1051

http://www.hsv.tis.net/~mayfield

DrMayf@AOL.com
mayfield@traveller.com <<<<preferred

Bonneville Land Speed Racer, '66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)