More suspension stuff...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: More suspension stuff...
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 21:30:11 -0800
once again I have an Air Ride suspension system... part of tomorrow is
learning what the adjustments are at different Ride heights and setting the
Air ride at Race altitude... which at Maxton is around two inches
everywhere but the return Road which I think likes three inches... Don't
know exactly yet... but I have raced the car twice... and bought a new set
of headers for both meets... it was set at 2".. and the cut off to the
starting line which I shouldn't have been using is a little rough.. I
thought I had the car high enough last time... this time I am going to send
it to the moon.... when I get it shut down.... takes all the worry out of
it.....

Oh the air Ride makes bending over to change the plugs or jets a breeze as
well as loading it on a trailer....

I am thinking there are some side benefits to be had in calculating real
down force also... I started to put a compression gage in line to tell what
my max down force was... More downforce = more air pressure... interesting
system...
Keith

----------
> From: B. Whiting <110420.3466@compuserve.com>
> To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
> Subject: front ends.... alignment
> Date: Tuesday, March 23, 1999 6:22 PM
>
> Keith,
>
> What do you want the car to do? If you want it to go straight by itself
> then use as much caster as possible. You said that it is preset, but
> sometimes this can be "changed". I have done this on several roadrace
cars.
> It really helps the straight line holding. If you are using narrow front
> tires then I would try zero to no more than a quarter degree negative
> camber. Toe should be a sixteenth to an eighth toe-in. This depeends on
the
> looseness of your tierod ends. The idea here is for the tires to be
> straight ahead when rolling.
>
> Bruce,PhD

Keith Turk
Austin Healey 100  /  Bugeye / Box Sprite / Bonneville Land Speed Racer
Camaro ( D Gas Altered )