Re: front ends.... alignment

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: front ends.... alignment
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 22:27:49 -0500
Keith,

  I'll be the first to admit that I have zero experience on salt, but zero
camber and zero toe with positive caster will be easiest on tires while
keeping the car straight and causing the least rolling resistance.  I ran my
street settings of 1.5 degrees negative camber and zero toe with both the
radial street tires and the Goodyear slicks and it seemed to be just as
stable at 130 MPH as at 30 MPH.  Caster is what has the biggest effect on
the cars stability.  Trying some tall tires on the rear without thinking
about the change of caster can give you a big surprise.  A 3" tire diameter
increase on the rear of the USS Wankel makes it very unstable at highway
speeds.  Keep the caster positive and you oughto be comfortable.

  That's my take on it.  Any other comments?  Recommendations?

Chuck Rothfuss
ECTA