Re: Dyno

To: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Dyno
From: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 15:37:29
Hey, yeah, I've seen these doo hickeys advertised in the National Dragster.
Kinda always wondered how usefulthey would be. So how would you use it? If
at B'ville then how many runs could you make to tune the car? Maxton might
be ok for a few runs per day but other places might be difficult to get
enough data. The assumed user of these items is at the drag strip where
"hot laps" might be possibel on a test and tune night. My thoughts would be
that the engine dyno would be used to get everything close and then on race
day, the engine/car is tuned with a trial run to meet current environmental
conditions. But then you need both a dyno and the in car DAS. Jeeze, this
old time hot rod sport is getting pricey. Used to be a fella could build
his car, come to the track, run, change something, run again...what will
become of the old guys (says he with tongue in chek).

mayf
At 09:31 PM 5/10/00 -0400, John Beckett wrote:
>    The race net price on the dyno is $4,495. plus EGT probe at $329. to
>459. plus windows software is $799. So were closer to $5,000 or $6,000, but
>when you compare it to other data acqusition systems it's not out of line.
>    I more I think about this the more I like the idea of every run a dyno
>run.
>
>    John Beckett, LSR #79

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
ph: 1-256-837-1051

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemay

lemay@hiwaay.net

Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)