Re: Ford C-4 Tranny Gear Deliberations

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ford C-4 Tranny Gear Deliberations
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 14:22:23 EDT
In a message dated 08/26/2000 10:04:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kturk@ala.net writes:

<<
 I simply don't understand using an Automatic.... Sorry Doug... ain't that I
 don't love your car... .. When you have limeted Ponies why waste them on the
 Auto?

 With the in and Out box I understand they can be effiecent.... but with a
 Torque converter all that is Lost....

 SOOOOOO lets evaluate how to stick a Four speed in your car for a sec....(
 bare with me on this even if your not interested )  First the Clutch linkage
 is a NON issue with the advent of Hydraulic Throw out bearings.... ( 150 or
 so ) and you already have Brakes so sicking another pedal in isn't that much
 of an issue.... especially with the Floor Mounted stuff out there....again
 about 100- 150 dollars.... Okay now we are up to a Clutch.... Tilton Two and
 Three disc Clutches are avalible from Muscle Motorsports Used for about 200
 bucks apiece....

 Okay now are up to the Bell Housing.... well.... you already have it set up
 for something... Ford and they make those for around 200..... Fly wheels are
 going to be interesting... but they are sure doable I am sure....

 Okay finally we get to the Trans itself.... Again Muscle sells rebuilt
 T-10's ( Stage Three.... Nascar Stuff... good to 750 hp ) for around
 1500.... and Gear selection is absolutely selectable even down to a 2:43
 first 165 second and a 118 Third....

 So on the end of the day Doug.... Personally I would go down this Road....
 and Not have an Auto..... Besides.... God wants us to Shift Race cars....

 Keith.... ( just food for thought Doug )
 - >>
Keith,
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'll print out your letter and digest it this
evening. I got started with the C-4 in the GoldDigger Lakester and continued
with the same tranny in the Dragmaster Dart and now the Modified Roadster.
    I realize the differences in power lost but perhaps someone in the Group
could shed some light  on the actual facts and figures regards horsepower
loss with the various automatics (C-4,350,400,Glide,PowerFlite, etc.) vs a
Muncie or T-10 for example.
    In my Roadster I decided to go with the C-4 for several reasons: 1. I
have very limited width in the "leg-room" area of the car. Running a clutch
pedal would relegate the brake to a hand-lever vs. the present pedal setup.
The shift linkage, simple as it may sound, would present an interesting
challenge in my car, where the driver is somewhat behind the normal street
position in relation to the tranny. Considering the limb restraints, shifting
might be a problem. Scatter shield wouldn't present much of a problem.
    The horsepower loss figures I mentioned above would be interesting to
see. As far as race cars having stick-shift's, that's a matter of personal
preference. Ain't the diversity of our hobby great?..............Ardun Doug
King