Re: Ford C-4 Tranny Gear Deliberations

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ford C-4 Tranny Gear Deliberations
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 17:36:46 EDT
In a message dated 08/26/2000 11:53:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kturk@ala.net writes:

<< The Stick Deal.... Doug you have no idea how much Idiocy I have brought to
 the table when it comes to the Stick thing..... I have done some REAL brain
 dead stuff to have a Stick instead of an Automatic in a couple of Cars....
 Like finding one of the 250 78 only El Camino's that came with a 350 and the
 Four Speed.... many were made that had 305's and Stick's but not many
 350's.... because they were Hard on the Saginaw's.... anyway I know What
 your saying.... there are LOTS of cars out there that simply work GREAT with
 an AUTO... and are much Faster then Mine.... I just love the Stick.... call
 it Die Hard... Call It Brain Dead.... it's my thing and your absolutely
 right.... Diversity is what this is all about....

Keith,
    Were I to build the car again I probably would use the Muncie that came
with the project when I bought it, the reason being the gear ratios are so
much closer than those of the C-4. When I decided to stay with the C-4 I had
already modified (welded and butchered) a Lakewood-type SBC clutch can to
bolt the Muncie to my 49-53, 8-BA Flatty. I can't remember exactly what my
thought process was but I'm sure that foot-room spacing, clutch linkage
(mechanical), and shift linkage all had something to do with the decision.
    If I want to save some HP being lost I can go to a converter-less hookup
and use a push truck to get me rolling before I engage the tranny. The
converter I use is pretty tight, so let's see what the group comes up regards
how much HP is lost through the converter and C-4............Ardun Doug King