Re: overheating TF

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating TF
From: don <brgmgb@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 05:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
This may be old information to you, but are you running 2/3 to 3/4 water as
coolant?  Too much antifreeze impairs cooling. I found this out the hard way
years ago.  Use about 1/3 antifreeze and use Redline in your cooling system.
You will gain maybe 10 or 15 degrees reduction in temperature.

Also, you can take your car to a smog shop and they can put the sniffer in
the coolant with the car running and you can see if you've got a cracked
head or block or bad head gasket.  Exhaust gasses in the coolant will cause
terrible overheating.

Don Scott

At 11:41 PM 6/25/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Just installed my rebuilt XPAG engine and am having problems keeping it
>cool.  Engine rebuild included cylinder resleeving, new bearings, new
>3/4 race camshaft, new valves including valve guides and hardened
>seats.  Above work was done by a local machine shop and I assembled the
>major parts and installed the engine.
>
>Symptoms:  Engine starts and runs fine for first five miles then
>temperature continues to increase until coolant boils (gauge reads 185 C
>but doubt its accuracy as coolant should be good to about 265F.  It
>appears to me that the engine is putting out more heat than the cooling
>system can absorb.
>
>The water pump appeared normal on installation.
>
>The radiator was tested and cleaned by a local radiator shop with no
>discrepancies noted.
>
>Thermostat was tested and opened normally.  I then cut out the center
>part of the thermostat and reinstalled just the ring.  This helped by
>slowing the rate of temperature rise but end result was still the same.
>
>Any ideas on what could be causing this?  Could it be from all the new
>parts, the camshaft etc.?  I am just driving it short distances until
>this gets resolved.  Total miles on the rebuild now is about 65.
>
>Incidentally air temperatures have been in the 90's the last couple
>weeks.
>
>Bob Peck

The above address is for list purposes only.  Please send private e-mail to:
scottdon@napanet.net

RetroMobilia w/ original advertising artwork featuring:
    Riley 1.5, '62 Buick, '91 Miata Special Edition, & MG TF, & 215 V8
Check it out:
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2508/