Re: TD/TF Steering wheel nut

To: TATERRY@aol.com
Subject: Re: TD/TF Steering wheel nut
From: Dave & Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:28:01 -0800
Terry,

British Standard Brass and British Standard Cycle both use 20 or 26 TPI
for all diameters, however both Uni-Thread and Tracy Tools in England
list special pitches for 3/4" diameters as 11, 14, 16, 20, 24, 26, 28,
32 & 40 TPI.  It looks like "Bob" hit it right when he said that 16 TPI
is used for all diameters from 3/4 to 1 1/2.  It is also used for 5/8
and 11/16, but not for 15/16 - at least that is what is shown in the
Uni-Thread and Tracy Tools catalog.  To tell if what you have is one of
hte special British threads or a UNF thread, you would have to measure
the included angle of the threads, but my guess is that they are a
British Special thread.  By the way, you can get a thread file for
British threads from British Tools and Fasteners if you need to clean up
the threads on the shaft.

Cheers,
Dave

PS. I don't think that I want meet the person who put that crank in the
original shaft.