'73 MGB, Running too fast on all 4 !!

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG Mail List mgs@autox.team.net)
Subject: '73 MGB, Running too fast on all 4 !!
From: swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu (Jon N Swanson)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 23:56:49 -0400 (EDT)
So, time for an update.  I'm finally running on all four cylinders!
It appears that a large part of my problems were on the carburetion
side of things - the dead #3 problem went right away when I replaced
the HS4 jets - and I get a much nicer mist of gas that I can see now
rather than a "bubbling mass of gas" like I described last time.  As
always, many thanks again for all of the suggestions....

Now, it appears that my 'B' is too excited about running. It starts
beautifully, but refuses to idle below 2700 - 3000 RPM!  I have checked
all of the linkages, I even removed them to see if something was binding
up, and closed down the throttle plates as much as I could, to no avail
(it got me the 300 RPM from 3000 to 2700).

Any suggestions?  Can worn throttle shafts (mine are) cause this much
of an idle problem?  I can't really check the timing per the specs, but
it measures about 30 degrees advanced at 3000rpm - am I close?

I am very encouraged at this point - even moving into other areas.  This
car is a real project.  The body is very straight overall, and has only
minor rust damage, but I need new floors, the brakes need work, the RF
shock is frozen, the speedometer doesn't work, and the radio is tuned to
the wrong station.  I'm still hoping to get it on the road in a month or
so though ;-)  I'm not trying to do a full restoration at this stage, just
trying to put together something safe for some topless cruising this
summer, then put more time into it next winter.

Is there some sort of FAQ for various areas of an MG?  I'd love to see
any pointers about floors, brakes, suspension, etc.

BTW, how worn is too worn for kingpins?  It seems that they are quite
$$$ intensive to repair, and it's something I wouldn't mind putting off
if I possibly can....

Jon
swanson@zonker.ecs.umass.edu