Re: auto verrs left & right

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Re: auto verrs left & right
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 09:15:59 GMT
>      I have noticed a problem recently with my 1975 MGB and hope that
>      someone has some advice for me.
>
>      When traveling at about 40 or more and you let off the accelerator,
>      the car seems to veer to the left. Upon acceleration it will veer to
>      the right. It feels as though the rear of the car is shifting one way,
>      then the other. I also notice that the gear shift moves from left to
>      right when you let off or give it more gas. this seems to indicate
>      that the transmission is shifting in relation to the body of the car.
>      I have mentioned this to a few people and it has been suggested that a
>      motor mount may be loose.
>
>      Any comments?

I'd go with Ray on this one.  My midget did exactly the same until this
weekend I replaced the rear springs (which weren't too bad really) and all
the bushes and rubber pads (which were horrible and old).  The problem
seems to have stopped.  I too wondered for a long time if I was just imagining
that the rear end was moving around.  Does it also happen on S bends, first one
way then the other ??

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.