Re: Leaking B fenders

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: Leaking B fenders
From: "Gary R. Burrell" <burrelgr@tuns.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 19:15:48 -0400 (AST)
On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:

> Gary Burrell made a suggestion about my fender leak:
>
> > On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:

> > Denise,
> >
> > Did you check where the fender is bolted under the hood (bonnet) and it
> > bends up at the back.  (I know not a great description but you get the
> > picture) The body putty should bend down into there.
>
> I'm sure I didn't because at the time I replaced the fender, I thought
> the body putty was just for cushioning.  Since Dave Hall has the same leak
> in his GT, the answers to these questions may be of general interest.
> When you say "bends up at the back," do you mean in front of the bead
> between the fender and the scuttle(?) (plenum? the part right behind the
> hood)?  Can I stuff body putty in there without removing the fender, say,
> by reaching through the crescent shaped panel behind the front wheel?  Or
> will this just make a pocket that will collect water and rust my car?
> Should I stop assuming that an ex-mechanic can easily do bodywork and ask
> a body person for advice next time?

Denise,

I'll try a better description this time.  When you lift the hood/bonnet
of the car on the right (and the left side) there is a row of bolts
holding the fender on.  At the very back closest to the windshield the
body putty runs from the windshield to this row of bolts.  I found that
depending on the way the car is parked the water runs down the grove
beside the hood to this piont and if it is not sealed into the car.  My
passanger side had the body putty pushed down into here and painted over,
but the body putty had a gap at the bottom on the drivers side.  I used
(gasp) clear bathtub silicon to fill it up.  (I had one of those neat
pressurized tubes with some left in it so I forced it way down inside).
In my case you would never no I did it and the leak stopped so I'm happy.
Let me know what you find.

Gary

Character__|20_|47_|61_|72_|79_|20_|42_|75_|72_|72_|65_|6C_|6C_|20_|20_|
Electronic Signature: Gary R. Burrell P.Eng. (burrelgr@tuns.ca)
Try my new home page (http://www.tuns.ca/~burrelgr)