[Top] [All Lists]

Re: removal of locking gas cap

To: Alan Wilson <>
Subject: Re: removal of locking gas cap
From: "William W. Moyer" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:51:38 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Alan Wilson wrote:

> Have you tried the lockpicking newsgroup on usenet?  They might have some
> suggestions....
> If you cannot actually pick the lock, you might use what they refer to
> as a rotary pick -- a 3/8 electric drill with bit.  Try to drill on the
> shearline of the pins so you can rotate the cylindar.
> Good luck
I'm not sure that the average guy knows what the shearline is, but in any 
event I'd be cautious about running a drill into the gas cap if there are 
gas fumes in the supply tube and/or tank.  One spark could ruin your 
whole day.  

Also, I think that most gas caps are wafer locks, using flat pieces of 
metal instead of pins.  The approved picking method for these locks is 
"raking" the wafers with a jagged pick.  The pick looks like a magnified 
view of a saw blade.  You pull the pick over the wafers while twisting 
the cylinder in the "unlock" direction.

These locks aren't technological wonders and are about as easy to pick as 
a desk or file drawer lock.  It just takes patience and persistence.  

bill "misspent youth" moyer

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>