Re: Fool pumps

To: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile)
Subject: Re: Fool pumps
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 19:11:12 +0200
>Paul (Tiktiktik........bonk with hammer.........Tiktiktik) Kile

My MGB behaved like this for YEARS, until last Marchl!
After a long winter standstill, I decided to test drive my B for the first time
in 1996, since it was almost time for the annual state safety check.

After only a few miles, the fuel pump refused to pump fuel.
No amount of whacking could persuade the pump to function again.
So, I traveled back with my B on a rope  behind my brother's Mitsubishi Pajero.

Now a new SU fuel pump only costs a modest $ 60 or so from Britain and it
was still
far too cold to drive the B, so I ordered a new one and just waited
for it to arrive.
Replaced the pump and this, of course, cured the problem.

Only recently I had the opportunity to take the old pump apart and
investigate the cause of its malfunctioning.

I found that the contacts could barely move because of the
Tectyl (rustproofing)  that had gotten between them!

This, of course, was my own stupidity, as a few years before, I had been
applying
copious amounts  of the stuff to the inners and to the underside of the car...

BP