Re: Fool pumps

To: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl, KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com
Subject: Re: Fool pumps
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 14:51:49 -0400
Suggests a related point of concern with fuel pumps. If anything is able to
get inside to where the points are, then the rubber covering on the joint
between the cap and base of the tower is missing or deteriorated.
The joint between the two should be not only rustproofing-proof, it should be
airtight. When the pump operates, the air gets evacuated from the space
around the points, which minimizes the corrosion on the points. If the space
is airtight.
When you open and then close up your fuel pump, several of my gurus have
recommended that the tower be wrapped with electrical tape around the join,
either over or in place of the rubber band that would originally have been
there.
Took mine apart yesterday after two years in place -- the entire area was
pristine clean and the points were barely worn.  Put it back together, taped
it up again, and am ready to go. (though I have ordered a new set of points
which I will carry in my repair kit.)
Gary Anderson
(this on my 60 Healey bn7. Also have 71 bgt, etc.