Re: MGA cooling

To: Mgs@autox.team.net, EMCCARROLL@magnum.mco.edu
Subject: Re: MGA cooling
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 13:33:56 -0700

>       I had some questions on the operating temperatures reached (about
>       213 - 220 deg.F) in hot weather with the MGA.   Since raising these
>       questions I have ordered some Water Wetter as recommended by
>       someinterested souls.  While checking the cooling system once again,
>       I noticed that when I place my hand in front of the radiator while
>       the engine is running, I can feel a considerable draught of air
>       in the center of the radiator and relatively less at the outer
>       areas.   This is, of course because the fan blades are located
>       at the center on the other side of the radiator.   It seems to me
>       although without hard data to support the idea, that the peripheral
>       areas of the radiator do not get the cooling benefits of the fan
>       thus reducing the system's effectiveness.   Also, on the fan side of
>       the radiator it appears that the fan may be drawing air from adjacent
>       areas other than through the radiator.   Does anyone support the idea
>       that a simple shroud made to surround the fan and perhaps attached
>       in place utilizing the radiator mounting bolts might serve to channel
>       most of the air through the radiator and provide increased air flow to
>       the outer edges of the radiator core?    Has anyone done this before?
>       Would it make a considerable difference?

Ed,

I have looked ahead for previous answers and will add, the shroud is done by
almost all manufacturers. Adding proper shrouding in front and behind the
radiator will make a lot of difference at speed as well as in traffic.
Converting
to race cars involves proper shrouding for various cooling needs, oil, water,
and on occasion transmission and rear end. Directing air throught the radiator
and not around it is done in front of the radiator. Making sure the fan pumps
air
efficiently and not allowing the air to get from the rear back to the front,
recirculation, is the job of the rear shroud. Look at different cars for ideas.

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer