[Fwd: Re: Questions about Suspension Upgrade Kits]

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Questions about Suspension Upgrade Kits]
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@mail.ic.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:10:49 -0400
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:10:16 -0400
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@mail.ic.net>
To: Melissa Mann <ccqetst2@best.com>
Subject: Re: Questions about Suspension Upgrade Kits

Melissa Mann wrote:

> I have an '80 MGB, and I've heard what *everyone* says about the handling of
>rubber

> Thanks in advance for any insight/advice you can offer.
>
> -- Melissa Mann
> 1980 MGB

I too have wondered about such things.  I can't offer any hard knowledge
on this issue, but a few observations are worth making:

The later rubber bumper cars don't handle that much differently that the
chrome bumper models.  The '74 1/2 thru '75 cars suffered from a higher
ride height (and corresponding C.G.), and no anti-roll bars.  Later
models had anti-roll bars fitted, which improved handling greatly.

Many B's suffer from worn bushings, shocks, and springs.  Before I
dropped any money on somthing new, I would make sure that the stock
suspension was up to snuff.  You may find that the difference is
dramatic.  I did.

One of the biggest reasons that a B doesn't handle as well as a new car
is the fact that it has a "live" solid rear axle.  With no independant
suspension on the rear end, handling will NEVER be as good as a new
econobox.

All that said, I think that the stock set-up, well sorted out, will
handle adequately for most drivers.  Some improvement in damping is
available by changing over to a SPAX set-up.  While doing this, you may
want to consider going to a lower spring height, like previous cars.
Doing so will require changing many components, however, like
bump-stops, and sway-bars, so consider this in your cost.  I would say
leave the coil-over kit for the racing crowd.  I will be interested in
the opinions from others.

Regards,

Chris Delling