Re: Rust-Oleum

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rust-Oleum
From: ken.roach@sk.sympatico.ca (Ken Roach)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:30:08 GMT
On Tue, 15 Oct 1996 15:48:53 +0000, you wrote:

>I have a question about enamel for the group. Can a dull area be made
>glossy by polishing or buffing, or do these techniques only apply
>to lacquer paint? If polishing works, what kind of compound should I
>buy?

Enamels generally can not be polished as only the skin really hardens.

If the paint is chemically hardened with a catalyst (two pack enamels)
then it will cure all the way through and allow color sanding and
buffing.  This type of enamel can only be sprayed with a gun as the
hardener must be mixed into the paint just before it is sprayed.

>Also, does anybody with experience with Rust-Oleum gloss enamel have=20
>any opinions on how it will hold up compared to regular automotive =
paint?

I have a friend who sprayed his '70 Spitfire with Rust-Oleum "Hard
Hat" red paint and surprisingly it held up pretty good.  After a
couple of years  the tops of the fenders started to oxidize.  By the
fourth year it looked pretty faded, but this car was never garaged and
exposed to some pretty harsh conditions (summer temps up to 100
deg.F....winter temps to -40 deg.F).=20

=09
Ken Roach=09
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
'74B under restoration.......another summer missed :(