Re: Engine Rebuild

To: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 21:46:16 -0700
Nina Barton wrote:

> First of all, if any of you were at Jack London Square on Sat. Oct. 12,
> wasn't it a nice show?
>
> On to the engine.  I have a 71 BGT, which lives on the street.  No place to
> work on it myself, except in a minor way.  The mechanic I've gone to for 13
> years says that the block is cracked between #3 and #4 cylinders.  Gradual
> loss of power over the last few years, improved when I put on a new
> muffler, but then declined again.  Blown head gasket about a year ago, but
> no damage to the head.  He wants $4000 to rebuild the block.  This seems
> like a steep amount to me, I expected it to be in the $2000 dollar range.
> Granted, this is supposed to be a restoration type rebuild, but what am I
> getting for that extra 2 grand?  Thanks in advance for any info anyone has.
> NinaNina...In my part of the world (Paradise, CA  - about 3 1/2 hours inland
past Sacto), a rebuilt long block (most of the primary comonents, minus
carbs, manifolds, alternator, etc. goes for about $1,000.  Add in
another $500-600 for labour and there you go!  That assumes that your
throttle shafts on your dual SU carbs are up to snuff, etc.  What
are your compression readings?  Sounds to me that you may have a case of
the ongoing "smog head" crack that develops between cylinders # 3 &4.
You may only nead a rebuilt head (cost around $400 + labour).  Call
Economy Foreign Car Parts (Chico, CA) for the price of a long block.
They would probably even be able to install it for you over a weekend!
The usual disclaimers apply;  I have no financial interest in any of
these potential transactions.

The lure is there...sipping fine local beer at Sierra Nevada Brewing
Company, strollin g through downtown and saving a couple of grand,
ending up with a reliable B in the pro cess!

Write if I can assist further,

Jim Boyd,

Paradise, CA