Rocker shims

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rocker shims
From: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 05:42:12 -0700 (PPET)
Okay, here's a puzzler for all you MG experts out there:

When I rebuilt my B, I removed two very thin shims from underneath the
rocker assembly -- the two middle cylinders.  I did notice these shims
listed as parts in the catalogues, but in the rebuild book I have, it
makes no mention of them.  When I called the local shop, they said they
have no idea, and they usually just <gasp!> leave them out.  The
question: what earthly purpose can these wafer-thin and obviously
ancillary shims have been meant to serve?

-- Marc