Re: Cold Red Light et al et al

To: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Cold Red Light et al et al
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 19:16:08 -0600
ckr wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with adjusting the electric choke on a
> Weber 32/36 carb ... or, failing that (because that wire with the
> three splices still bugs me) converting the electric choke to a manual
> one? Is this even done?

Corey -
        I spoke with the guys at Brit-Tek about converting my electric choke to
manual when I first put on my Weber 32/36.  He said that he could put
together a kit, but suggested I try the carb for a while first.  I
adjusted my choke after the car had sat overnight in the garage so the
temp could stabilize.  Seems like it was around 70 degrees at the time.
Remove the air filter so you can see the choke butterfly.  You'll see
three hex socket head (Allen) screws on the perimeter of the choke.
Loosen these to allow the choke to rotate, and without power going to
the choke, adjust until the butterfly just starts to open.  Reconnect
the power lead.  Use this as a starting point, see how it works for a
couple of days, and adjust as needed.  As the engine and engine
compartment temp rise, the choke should open sooner, and stay open for
easier starting if the engine hasn't cooled down.
        At least, this has worked for me.  BTW, I used the green power lead
that went to the induction heater on the ZS to power the electric choke.
--
Keep on keepin' on!

Wayne Kube      wkube@iadfw.net
1979 MGB        http://web2.airmail.net/wkube