Re: timing

To: karim.marouf@cancom.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: timing
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 21:43:13 +0800
> What's the best way to set the timing on a '67 MGB. Is it better too use a
> timing light (if that's even possible since the timing marks are at the
> bottom of the pulley) or to do just adjust it till you get the highest idle
> speed without preignition. I've been using a static timing light but haven't
> been able to get it right.

You could just set it by ear. Start at your current setting. I think your
distributor has a little dial which allows you to advance/retard the timing
without resetting the ignition points. Be sure it is set in the middle of its
adjustment range. With the engine fully warmed up (after 7 to 10 miles of
driving), let it slow down to 2000 RPM in 4th gear (overdrive not engaged) and
floor the accelerator pedal. If the engine pings, you need to back off on the
advance a bit. If it doesn't ping, advance the timing a couple of degrees, idle
down to 2000 RPM, Etc.Repeat the process until it pings, then retard a couple
of degrees. This will be the optimal setting for your engine in its current
state of tune, gasoline octane rating, fullness of the moon, and other current
conditions.

Your problem with setting the timing with a timing light may be because the
two parts of your crank pulley have de-laminated, so the inner part and the
outer part are only held together by friction instead of rubber. In this state,
the timing mark on the pulley has no relationship to anything else on the
engine. Time for a replacement pulley.

Regards,
Jerry Causey - 1967 MGB GT
Whidbey Island, Washington, embraced by the Puget Sound
(fairly close to Seattle, and the rest of the USA)