master cylinder woes

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: master cylinder woes
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 23:17:26 -0500
Hello list,

I narrowly avoided an accident the other day in my 65 Sprite by literally
standing on the brake pedal. A few days later, I found that hydraulic fluid
was dripping onto my foot. The trough that the master cylinder sits in had
fluid in it and the reservoir was a little low.  I topped it off and worked
the brakes a lot everyday after getting home from work. It's not leaking
much, but  I'm not 100% confident in the system any more, so I guess a m.c.
rebuild is in order. How do I tell if the mc must be honed, or is this
something that should always be done? Is it more economical to replace the
entire mc, or can I hone it, or should I have a shop do it?

TIA,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright          __o_\__            '65(!) A-H Sprite
http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html