RE: Wrenches

To: "'Thomas James Pokrefke, III'" <pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu>,
Subject: RE: Wrenches
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 13:00:39 -0400
>> I am looking at this "new" wrench in the Sears ad...called the "Quick
Wrench"
>> Anyone use these?  Good/Bad?

>Kai:

>As the Home Improvement Manager for Sears #1306 (Hattiesburg, MS), I
>feel that I am imminently qualified, and biased, enough to answer your
>question.

He's honest about the bias, anyway.

<snip>

>The wrench is 30% longer than a standard wrench.  The equates to more
>torque.

...which when applied to a really stubborn nut, will allow you to round it
off 30% more easily.  ;-)

>The design of the head ensures that the nut is gripped tightly.  I can
>vouch for this as I had to help Dad remove some suspension bolts on his
>'64 Dodge this weekend.

I don't follow.  The wrench still applies force to only two points on
opposite corners of the nut, same as a conventional open-end wrench.  It's
certainly no worse, but how is it better?

Now, to be fair, I do own a wrench of an identical design that's of unknown
age (but I got it from my father about 15 years ago), and when I've needed
it, it's been a lifesaver.  I'll be glad to get a full set of them, now
that they're available.  I wouldn't want to rely on a set as my only
wrenches, though.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net