1500 Bottom End Rebuild

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1500 Bottom End Rebuild
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:02:52 -0400
Hi Gang,
        The oil pressure on the 1500 Midget was going below 10 psi at idl=
so I've taken off the oil pan and  the "big end" bearing cap off #4.  The=

crankshaft doesn't look too bad to me, though what do I know.  There are
two very slight grooves that I can just about see and feel with my
fingernail.  Bear in mind I'm under the car where the lighting is not too=

good.  The inside of the  "lower" bearing is 70% copper and I can make ou=
some very slight pitting.  Here's what I'm wondering:

Can I go ahead and put in some new bearings and hope for the best?   The
numbers on the bearing are 149081 at one end and 5105 at the other with
like a VP logo or something.  Does this mean they are std (and not 0.010,=

0.020 etc)

I picked up some Plastigage from the autostore.  Do you use that with new=

bearings (to check the clearance) or can I use the bearing I've just take=
out.  This Plastigage is about as thin as a cat's whisker - if I"d known
that I could have saved myself a dollar and a trip to the autostore.

How do you get the upper bearing out?!!

I was half hoping to replace the main bearings while I was at it but I
don't seem to be able to get at the one closest the radiator.  Is it
necessary to pull the engine for mains replacement?

Where are these famous thrust washers?  I can't see them, let alone remov=
them.  There doesn't appear to be any slop - ie I can grab the crankshaft=

lobes (?) and try to push the thing towards the radiator or gearbox and i=
doesn't move any.  Can I leave 'em alone?  If you get the idea I'm somewh=
at
nervous, you're right!!  I'm planning on using Lock-tite on the bolts
unless someone tells me not to.  Anyone know the torque spec for the bolt=
that Moss sells.  The book calls for 50 for "colour dyed" and 46 for
"phosphated"  The bolts that came off are black.  Is black a color?  Are
carbon atoms black?

Well, enough, already.

Thanks for any help,     Adrian

 =