Re: 1500 Bottom End Rebuild

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 1500 Bottom End Rebuild
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:16:10 -0400
All,
        Oh my Gawd!!  I fear I may have screwed it up already!!

Having undone the big-end caps on # 1 and 4, I then proceeded to turn the=

crankshaft (by pulling on the fan belt) so as to get to # 2 and 3.  Well,=

of course, now the con rods for 1 and 4 are now dangling in the air, free=

of the crankshaft.

Will things align themselves when I put the new bearings in and tighten u=
the caps?  Can I go on rotating the crankshaft to disassemble #2 and 3 -
will the crankshaft mesh nicely with the dangling con rods or is there a
chance of something getting horribly locked up, if you see what I mean. =

Incidentally, should I be able to turn the crankshaft by hand from under
the car by grabbing it and pushing?  Three spark plugs are out - the four=
th
is obstructed by the generator.  I'll go ahead and take that one out as
well and see if that makes it any easier.

Well, at least I've got the other half of the bearings out now from # 1an=
4 - the bearings from # 1 looks much better and that part of the cranksha=
ft
is free of any gouges. =

Regards,   Adrian =