Re: Dura Lube!

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: Dura Lube!
From: Andy Ramm <aramm@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:38:20 -0800
David,

There is absolutely no replacement for frequent oil and
filter changes!  Use premium grade oil, either synthetic or
synthetic blend if you're worried about coking.  If you must
use an additive, I usually add a little bit of Rislone at
each oil change.  Probably does more for my head than for my
engine.

If you want your engine to run cooler, tune it properly,
adjust your valves properly, make sure your air filters are
in good shape and that your carb mixture is correct (good
article on team.net on how to do this). Make sure your
vacuum advance works right.  Change distributor cap, rotor,
wires and plugs.  Gap the plugs accurately.  Change to a
lower temperature thermostat.  Flush your radiator and
refill with fresh water, coolant and maybe Redline Water
Wetter.  Change your transmission and differential oils
(these cause friction, drag and heat too).  Check your tire
pressure and make sure it's right up where it ought to be.
Change the fan on your '69 to the later 6 blade plastic
fan.  Add a coolant reservoir.

These are all easy and either cheap or free to do.  All of
this can be accomplished working a couple of hours over a
period of a couple of weekends.  They will all save you
money in the long run, and are really no cost at all if you
would otherwise be buying Duralube.  If doing this doesn't
make your car run cooler, smoother, faster, better, cleaner
and quieter, I'll drink that bottle of Dura Lube!

Magic snake oils are a waste of money.  YMMV (but probably
not).

Cheers,

Andy
'67 B GT
'69 B
'72 B

--

Andy Ramm
A silver face in a tweed world.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C) and
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), it is unlawful to send any unsolicited
advertisement to this equipment.  A violation of the
aforementioned Section is punishable by action to recover
actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for
each violation.