Lucal Alternator Demons

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lucal Alternator Demons
From: Dave Hudson <daveh@proaxis.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:44:16 -0700
I am new to MGs and I have always wondered why Lucas got such a bad rap.
I'm finding out .. My newly alternator had no output - battery voltage
measured the same with the engine off as it did while running at 2000
rpm. I checked the field connections on the back of the alternator (it's
a 70 B) and found no voltage. The indicator light stayed on all the time.
My wiring diagram showed the light to be in series with the fiels coil so
it sounded like a grounded connection at the field. Then I disconnected
the alternator connection (engine off) but the light stayed on! Did not
make sense. Anyway, I found the indicator light had come out of it's
plastic dash socket and it's case was touching the metal behind the dash.
That was grounding any current going to the field before it got there! A
cheap fix, but it took me several hours to find it. Lucas - would anyone
else make the case of a light bulb hot?  (Maybe this will help someone
out there save some time)