Re: highway running temp.

To: doug russell <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Subject: Re: highway running temp.
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 20:07:39 +0000
doug russell wrote:

> Running hot while driving at highway speed - but -  "normal" when at idle or
> around town seems a bit weird.
>
> I'd be interested to understand how you make out.  Also, anyone know whether
> high RPM (highway speed) driving creates more heat than is offset by increased
> air flow?

I'd go with that.  My experience, particularly on the V8, is that the gauge
goes up
after a high-speed run, then comes down again if the speed increases again.
Indicates that the cooling effect increases faster than the heating effect, at
least
for 'normal' highway speeds.  I suspect that, the V8 in particular, would have
cross-over at some point, the energy required (and hence heat generated) to
push the
car through the air increasing exponentially or whatever.

PaulH.