Re: Good practice at pulling engines

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Good practice at pulling engines
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:38:41 -0700 (PDT) (20:38 UT)
>After spending no less than five hours trying to get that oil pressure
 relief valve out of the side of my 76 B's block, I've reached the
 conclusion that the engine must come out.  I discovered last week that
 the engine/tranny to my 72 Midget must also come out.  I've never pulled
 an engine before in my life (only 20yrs old), but I'll get to do two in
 a few weeks.
 Any tips?  I've tried everything suggested to get that valve out, but
 it's stuck about halfway through its way out.  I'll have to use drastic
 measures to get it out with the engine out, and clean the oil passages
<very good.  This isn't gonna be fun :(

 I guess I'm mystified as to how you got into such a predicament.
Granted, I had my engine out to replace the tranny when I removed
my overpressure valve, but all I did was stick my little finger in
there and pull it out, sort of like Jack Horner!  Since you've already
spent five hours trying, I won't insult you by suggesting obvious things
to try...  like pushing it back in and trying again...

Make sure you have a patient friend to help.  Warn the friend that
your yelling obscenities at them is nothing personal.  Rent an engine hoist.
Take your time.  It's a toss-up as to whether it's easier to pull just the
engine or the engine-and-transmission...

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*