Re: Good practice at pulling engines

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>,
Subject: Re: Good practice at pulling engines
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:37:48 -0700 (PDT) (21:37 UT)
>In my heyday I've pulled my engine no less than three times (after that they so
 t of blur together).  My advice is to be pragmatic and to go slow.  Stripping b
 lts due to haste ups the aggravation factor tenfold.  Having a clean spacious p
<ace to do

 I guess my count is four, and the last two I did alone.  Which just
goes to show that if you take it slow and easy, it can be a one-man-show.
I'd feel a lot better, though, if there were at least someone there to
call the paramedics if the car slipped off the jacks on me!
A cherry-picker engine hoist and a smooth level garage floor make it
a lot easier!  Rather than remove the hood, I just tied it back to the
rear hatch button!  I used an old skateboard under the tranny tailpiece
to avoid scraping it along the garage floor.  When replacing the engine,
get the tranny almost into position, then put a loop of rope under it
and bring the ends up through the shifter hole.  Pull the tailpiece up
into position and tie the ends of the rope around something like a
socket wrench handle, then push the enagine/tranny into position.
Before you start, ensure that the chain length on the cherry picker will
be short enough to hoist the engine out, and long enough to lower it to
the ground!  If you really have to, you can lower the engine onto something
higher, lengthen the chain, pick it back up and lower it to the ground,
but it's a pain!
Good Luck!

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*